0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Elisa Velez
10 days ago

Instructional Design refers to the act of creation of lessons. Instructional Development Models are the frameworks guiding the lessons being designed. The difference is slowly becoming clear. Of the models presented, the only familiar one is BLOOMS TAXONOMY. I like this model because my previous exposure to it makes it easier to understand. In this model, each step is clearly defined in ways that can easily be understood with simple examples of each. Its a valid model to follow since it supports the hierarchy of thought.

Deborah Monforte
11 days ago
  • What is the difference between instructional design and instructional development models? Is the difference clear? Confusing?
  • Instructional design focuses on the overall process of creating instruction and instructional development provides the framework involved in developing these materials. I think this can be confusing because it does sound like they overlap in some ways. I think it helps to think about it as if they build onto each other.
  • What models did you come across?
  • ADDIE
  • SAM Model
  • Action Mapping
  • Which one(s) did you like the most? Why?
  • I like ADDIE the most because I felt that it was clear in the way it is broken down. It is a step by step process that can be very useful when followed correctly.
Martin Adames
16 days ago

Instructional design is the materials used to deliver instruction. it encompasses physical and digital materials. The word design refers to something that is intentionally created. Putting the words instruction and design together would mean something along the lines of, the intentional creation of instruction or educational materials.

Instructional development models refer to guidelines and templates that facilitate the production of learning materials, lesson plans, training, professional development, etc. These can be considered a framework that illustrates steps and ideas for instructional designers to use.

We have explored many Instructional development models like the ADDIE, SAM, UDL, Triple E framework, and Dick and Carey models. I also think we have explored some more than others. My best is that those are the most commonly used ones or the ones the professor believes to be the best ones for us to learn.

I had a chance to explore UDL before while doing my masters in special education. perhaps this is why it is one of my favorite models or frameworks to work with. The UDL model focuses on student achievement through its guidelines that focus on engagement, representation, and expression. The UDL framework was designed to create a balance and bring down barriers, and biases, to academic success.

Ioana Paunescu
18 days ago

Instructional design models focus on the general process of creating instruction, while instructional development models focus on the steps involved in developing specific instructional materials. Instructional design includes the process/framework for creating the instructional materials needed for learning/education. It includes thinking about what the learner needs, which tools can be utilized, and checkpoints to see if the instruction was successful in meeting the instructional objectives. To me, instructional design seems more generalized (like an overview), whereas instructional development is more focused on specifics of creating materials that are used for instruction. The difference between the two is confusing for me because there is some overlap, but I am trying to think of it in terms of development being part of the overall design.

I came across many models for instructional design and development, including: 

• The ADDIE model – includes five stages: Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation, and Evaluation. It features a step-by-step process for instruction design. 
  • SAM Model – includes repeated small steps that do not need to be linear (Preparation, Iterative Design, and Iterative Development)
  • Action Mapping – Visual way to plan/design learning experiences 
  • Triple E Framework – Includes engaging students, enhancing understanding, and extending knowledge.  
  • 5-E Model – inquiry-based format (that we are currently using in this Module), includes Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate, and Evaluate.
  • Bloom’s Taxonomy – helps categorize goals and objectives and makes sure that they are aligned with outcomes. 
  • Backwards Design – starts with thinking about learning outcomes, what evidence is needed to show those outcomes, and then the planning of the lessons. 

For instructional development:

• The Dick and Carey Model – includes developing instructional materials, identifying goals, and making assessments.   
  • Kemp’s Instructional Design Model — features use of technology in making instructional materials. 

The models that I liked the most include Backwards Design and ADDIE. I like Backwards Design because we are “starting with the end in mind.” It is important to think about what we want our students to understand at the end of the lesson/unit, and then to work backwards from there. I also think that ADDIE is helpful because of the clear step-by-step process for designing effective instruction, as well as the fact that it starts by thinking about students’ existing knowledge, as well as the desired performance. 

Charlene V Jimoh
30 days ago

While often used interchangeably, instructional design and instructional development have subtle differences. Instructional design focuses on the micro-level, systematically creating instructional materials and experiences for specific courses or programs. In contrast, instructional development takes a broader, macro-level view, encompassing the entire process of creating, implementing, and evaluating instructional programs, including project management and stakeholder communication.

The distinction, while not always clear-cut, helps understand the various roles and responsibilities involved in crafting effective learning experiences.

In my studies and experience, I’ve encountered several instructional design models, each with its own strengths and applications:

ASSURE Model: This learner-centered model focuses on analyzing learner characteristics, stating objectives, selecting appropriate media and materials, utilizing those resources effectively, requiring learner participation, and evaluating the results to inform revisions.

Dick and Carey Model: A systems approach that emphasizes the interconnectedness of instructional components, including objectives, content, instruction, and assessment. It’s known for its thoroughness and focus on aligning all elements of instruction.

Merrill’s Principles of Instruction: This model emphasizes problem-centered learning and provides guidelines for creating effective instruction based on four principles: activation, demonstration, application, and integration.

Of the instructional design models I mentioned, I find the ASSURE model and Merrill’s Principles of Instruction particularly appealing for their learner-centered approach and emphasis on active learning.

ASSURE Model:

I like the ASSURE model because it systematically guides educators through the process of tailoring instruction to the specific needs and characteristics of their learners. By analyzing learners’ prior knowledge, interests, and learning styles, educators can select the most appropriate media and materials to engage and motivate them. The model also emphasizes the importance of active learner participation, ensuring that students are actively involved in the learning process rather than passive recipients of information.

Merrill’s Principles of Instruction:

Merrill’s principles resonate with me because they focus on problem-centered learning, which is a highly effective way to promote deep understanding and critical thinking skills. The four principles—activation, demonstration, application, and integration—provide a clear roadmap for designing instruction that challenges learners to apply their knowledge and skills to real-world problems. This approach not only enhances learning outcomes but also prepares students for the complexities of the 21st-century workplace.

Both of these models align with my belief that effective instruction should be learner-centered, engaging, and relevant to students’ lives. By incorporating these principles into my own practice, I’ve seen firsthand how they can empower learners and foster a love of learning.

Alondra Ramirez (She/her)

Instructional design is when you create and deliver learning materials while instructional development models provide the framework for developing and planning educational tasks. The difference for me was not too clean and it was a bit confusing to figure out.

• What models did you come across?

I have come across ADDIE, The Dick and Carey Model, Merrill’s Principles of Instruction, Bloom’s Taxonomy, and the 5E Framework. 

I like Bloom’s Taxonomy because can help teachers see how they can support the students in a classroom and how the student learns best. I also liked The Dick and Carey Model because it provides an effective way of organizing instructions.

Zebo Pirmukhamedova
1 month ago

Instructional design implies the organized method of studying learning requirements, creating educational materials and tasks, and assessing their effectiveness. It focuses on the process of organizing and developing instructional experiences that support learning and attain particular educational goals. The tasks within instructional design include establishing learning goals, choosing teaching approaches, developing content, and assessing results. To me, the assessment part is something I constantly have to go back to and ask myself, ” How do I know that the students are learning, and how do I measure that ?”, especially when it comes to MLLs.

• What models did you come across?

I have encountered the 5E framework, UDL and triple E models, Inquiry-Based or Project-Based learning, and the 180-day framework.

I liked the UDL model. Even though I am still becoming more familiar with it, I think since I started implementing it in my curriculum, I have found it to be more purposeful, especially given the student population that I teach and the various needs within my classroom.

Pamella Peguero (She/her)

Instructional design focuses on the planning and design of learning experiences, while instructional development focuses on the implementation and evaluation of those experiences. Instructional design and instructional development model terms work together. They have key differences.

Instructional design models provide frameworks for systematically planning, developing, and delivering instructional materials. These models focus on creating effective instructional experiences and include steps such as analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation. Instructional development models, on the other hand, are more focused on the steps involved in developing and producing instructional materials. These models emphasize the actual creation and production phases. It details how to create content, media, and assessments based on the design plan. The two are clear to me yet I see where the confusion can arise. We have experience working with UDL and the 5Emodel. These are both instructional development models created from specific learning challenges.

I came across ADDIE, Dick and Carrie model, Merrill’s First Principles of Instruction, Gagne’s Nine Events of Instruction, Kemp’s Model, and Action Mapping.

I liked ADDIE and see why it is most popular. It’s a comprehensive and flexible

framework that can be adapted to various instructional scenarios. It’s an acronym for

·      Analysis: Identifying learning needs and goals.

·      Design: Planning the learning experiences.

·      Development: Creating the instructional materials.

·      Implementation: Delivering the course or program.

·      Evaluation: Assessing the effectiveness and efficiency.

Gagné’s Nine Events of Instruction. I liked this model because it’s highly detailed and focuses on cognitive development. I also liked Merrill’s First Principles of Instruction, this model focuses on problem-centered learning. It can be very engaging and effective for students. It’s great knowledge, that there are various models, suited to overcome different types of learning challenges.

Shavon Glover (She/Her/Hers)

The differences between instructional design and instructional development is that instructional design focuses on the planning, conceptualization, implementation and execution, instructional development brings the plan, concept and execution to life through the creation of the actual learning materials, which makes instructional development a crucial phase in the process of creating effective learning experiences for all learners. When researching and learning about these differences, one can decipher that the differences are clear and interchangeable when implemented correctly.

The models that I came across were ADDIE, Merrill’s Principles of Instruction Design model, Dick and Carey. The model that I found most interesting was Merrill’s Principles of Instructional Design. I found this model to be interesting because Merrill’s Principles of Instruction appear to be a straightforward and simple instructional design model. The elements, of this model makes it effective because its focus is dedicated to problem-solving. The principles in this model encourages developers to consider creating tools that involve problem solving as the overarching focus and then outlines the necessary steps to guide the developer in creating a tool that identifies problem solving skills that will lend itself to activating learning, demonstrating learning, applying learning and integrating learning to build reflection that can be transported to real life.

I like Merrill’s Principles of Instruction Design model because it seems to have attainable actions that can be delivered in multiple settings thereby meeting the needs of all learners, regardless of status. The principles in this model explores learning in a scaffolding form but more importantly to me was the structure of the model that encourages instructional designs to be connected to the learner’s real life and making real life connections for the learner.

Ingrid Blumberg (she/her)

Instructional design is a systematic process of planning and managing instructional materials and activities to focus on the learning needs of students to ensure the quality of instruction and assessments to teach the learning objectives. 

Instructional development is the actual process of creating the instructional materials and experiences based on the instructional design plan to teach the concepts. 

The differences between the two are clear and it is not confusing to me. 

There are various instructional design models, such as ADDIE (Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation, Evaluation), Dick and Carey Model, Bloom’s Taxonomy, Merrill’s Principles of Instruction, Gagne’s Nine Events of Instruction and the 5E Framework. 

Robert Gagne’s Nine Events of Instruction is a systematic instructional design model that provides a framework for creating effective learning experiences. Lessons can be engaging, effective, and well-structured to cater to different learning needs and styles. 

I like that it gains the student’s attention by  presenting a question or using multimedia.  Students are informed of their learning targets and understand what they need to achieve. The model connects new information to what learners already know which helps with retention. Information is structured in a sequence that is clear which will aid in comprehension. Students are expected to practice the skills through exercises, activities and/or simulations with timely and constructive feedback. The assessments in the model allow instructors to gauge student understanding and adjust instruction if necessary. Lastly the model encourages students to transfer strategies to real-world situations which enhances long-term retention skills. 

Tracey Fuller (Her/She)

Instructional design and instructional development models are married, meaning they complement each other in the “systematic process of improving the process of learning.
Instructional design methology helps educators organize and streamline the production of course content. An innovative collaboration that enriches and helps with the process of learning. It is the “creation of instructional materials beyond simply creating teaching materials.” Instructional designs focus on how students learn and what materials and methods will be most effective in helping achieve academic goals.” (goggle.purdue.edu) It is the process by which learning products and experiences are designed, developed, and delivered, In the designing process it is crucial to consider evaluating the effects on Equity & accessibility and the culture of an organization, because the culture determines the outcome.
On the other hand, instructional development is “the theory and practice of design, development, utilization, management, and evaluation of the processes and resources for learning (Reiser, 2002,p1). It helps instructional designers make sense of abstract learning, theory and enable real world application.
The difference between instructional development models and instructional design are clear. Instructional development model is a theory and practice of design development and management, while instructional design is the creation of instructional materials.
There are more than 34 design models listed on the Survey. I chose a few instructional design models that I would consider integrating: ADDIE, Dick and Carey Model, Agile, TPACK, SAMR, and Merrill’s First Principals of Instruction. More models that interest me are are 5E model, and Design Thinking.
There are so many design models to choose from, so initially, I was confused as to which one I thought was most effective. However, I like the ADDIE process, an instructional design methodology that helps organize and streamline the production of course content. It is the foundation of all processes encompassing 5 phases, Analyze, Design, Develop, Implement and Evaluate. It is useful that ADDIE can be used alongside other Instructional design options. The 5E model, with a carefully planned inquiry based sequence of instruction, Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate, and Evaluate. It places students at the center of learning. Like the 5E model, Learning Experience Design (LXD) focuses on delivering learning experiences. encompassing 5 phases empathize, define, ideate, prototype, test. Choosing or designing the proper and most effective design model is a daunting task that must be executed using your computational thinking skills.

Isatou Kebbeh
9 months ago

Instructional design is the process planning effective and engaging learning strategies for students and instructional development models are methods used to deliver the learning materials to students.Examples of instructional development models include ADDIE model, Bloom’s Taxonomy, the triple e framework and UDL . The difference can be very confusing because they all work hand in hand and has similar learning methods.
I’m familiar with the triple E framework and the UDL . I like the UDL approach the most because it makes the lesson accessible and inclusive to everyone.

Last edited 9 months ago by Isatou Kebbeh
Kathleen
9 months ago

Instructional design is generally an outline for instruction like an outline and focuses on the process of developing learning opportunities. Instructional development like instructional design also serve somehat of a guideline but they use specific materials and steps. I feel like there is some overlap between the two and it makes these a little confusing for me.

I feel familiar and comfortable withr he Triple E Framework and 5 E model since we learned about them in 226 and I saw how well they can be used to create engaging and effective lessons. I really liked the criteria utilized to evaluate resources and lessons. I also explored the Backwards Framework since I thought it was a different and possibly effective way of planning and organizing to meet objectives.

Mabel Garcia (she/her/hers)

Instructional design is the broader process that encompasses the planning and strategizing of learning experiences, while instructional development models are specific methodologies used within the instructional design process to guide the actual creation of instructional materials. Some instructional designers may like ADDIE for its systematic and structured approach, while I prefer Bloom’s taxonomy. Bloom’s Taxonomy provides educators with a structured framework to design instructional activities and assessments that promote higher-order thinking and deep understanding. The effectiveness of any model lies in how well it aligns with the instructional goals and the ability to adapt to the unique needs of the learners and the learning context.

Anastasia Tsimiklis
1 year ago

The overlap between instructional design and instructional technology occurs when instructional designers incorporate instructional technologies into their designs. They leverage these technologies to enhance the delivery, interaction, and engagement of the learning experiences they design. For example, an instructional designer may use multimedia resources, interactive simulations, or online discussion boards to promote active learning and collaboration. The models that I’ve come across that I find can be the most helpful in the classroom is Triple E. The Triple E framework highlights areas of a lesson that provide a well-rounded and thoughtful lesson.

Nicole Berrios
1 year ago

Instructional design is the creation of instructional materials. It considers how students learn and what materials and methods will effectively help individuals achieve their academic goal.

Instructional development models are how we deliver the material to our students. It helps us to focus on the child’s schema and how he or she will process new knowledge.

The differences can be confusing. Often times they do overlap. However, to me, instructional design are the materials used to deliver new information to students and instructional development is how the material is delivered.

I am most familiar with Bloom’s taxonomy. This was the development model that ruled the land when I became a teacher. Bloom’s taxonomy breaks down how a student can understand and learn new information. It also helps us move students through the learning process, changing our questioning from low to higher order thinking.

Sarah Palomeque
1 year ago

Instructional design is the creation of instructional materials to help students learn the content. Instructional developmental models are how you structure and which method you deliver your lesson. 

An instructional development model I am familiar with is Bloom’s Taxonomy. With Bloom’s Taxonomy I was creating objectives with higher order thinking words. I am familiar with the model of 5E because when I taught 4th grade our math program used that model. I can’t say I prefer one method over the other, because I feel old models and new models are constantly flowing through the DOE all the time.

Nicole Berrios
1 year ago

Great point! Instructional development models change constantly with new curriculums with the DOE.

Ashley Perez
1 year ago

Instructional design focuses on strategic planning for the lessons and what that might look like for all learners.

Instructional Development is the teaching aspect. How we execute what we designed .

I feel that they are connected because they go hand in hand. you can’t have one without the other. You can’t teach without the design /plan of the lesson.

Instructional models that I came across are triple E framework, Addie and Bloom’s Taxonomy. I use the triple E and bloom’s taxonomy as a 6th grade teacher. Bloom’s is my favorite as it offers multiple means of checking for understanding, using prior knowledge, applying , analyzing, evaluating, and much more. So many ways to meet the needs of our learners, figure out ways to best teach our students for the benefit of their academic success.

Kattie Guerrero-Valoy

Instructional design is the act of creating instruction and the different parts of an instructional tool, while instructional model has to do with how you engage with the content and explore the different ways to use each tool embedded in the design. As well the objectives developed to carry out the instruction.

I am familiar with Blooms Taxonomy’s. During my first year teaching I would develop my objectives with this sentence starter ” Students will be able to”. This model made me think about what students needed to accomplish by the end of the lesson and how will they get there.

Now, I used another model, standard- based, which is the idea of developing a learn target, for example ” I can solve a two-step equation”, then learning goals are developed to address the steps that will be taken to reach that learning target.

I like the standard-based model because it is more concrete and allows me to think about the small goals students to accomplish before reaching that learning target.

Ashley Perez
1 year ago

Hey Kattie, I feel Bloom’s is a first year teachers holy bible. I feel in college we are taught to design our learning targets with students will be able to. In my school we make it very independent ,”I can” . I feel Bloom’s is overall helpful with just making sure in each lesson we have tried all the methods, strategies and tools to help provide the best deliverance of the lesson for the students while nmeeti g their individual needs.

Jennifer R. (she/her)

Instructional design and instructional development are connected. Instructional design is the piece where you plan and create the lessons you will use for instruction. Instructional development is the implementation of the plans. It deals with the materials and technology that you will utilize. They two are closely related and it is hard to really pinpoint a difference since they are interconnected in my opinion.

Some of the instructional models that I am familiar with are Bloom’s Taxonomy, backwards design, and the Triple E Framework. I rely most on backwards design and the Triple E framework as a computer science teachers in a K-8 school.

Ashley Perez
1 year ago
Reply to  Jennifer R.

Hey Jennifer, I agree that they are connected as well. i feel they are the design and implementation of the lesson. they go hand and hand . As a fellow science teacher I as well use Triple E framework.

JoEllen (She/Her)
1 year ago
  • What models did you come across?

I am not sure I know the difference. Perhaps instructional design is the lesson/activity and instructional development is the course or overall curriculum/unit.

I did some googling and found this article helpful: https://elmlearning.com/blog/instructional-design-vs-instructional-development/

Some of the models I came across was SAM and ADDIE, neither of which I am familiar with. You had listed Dick Cary and Gagne as well. I am very unfamiliar with these. I’ve used the 5E model and Backward Design.

I would have to learn more in-depth of these new models before having an opinion of what I might like the best.

Sarah Palomeque
1 year ago
Reply to  JoEllen

I am also unfamiliar with a lot of these models. I feel the DOE likes to move out “old” models for “new” models but then the cycle repeats itself.

OBED FULCAR
1 year ago

To me the difference between Instructional Design and Instructional Development Models is quite clear. While Instructional Design uses Instructional Technology tools to design lesson plans, instructional development models provide us with instructional guidelines and protocols for us to follow and guide us in the right direction. Some instructional models I have come across are ADDIE, the Triple E, Bloom’s Taxonomy and Backwards Design. The model I like the most so far is ADDIE because of its similarity to the Video Game Animation process of brainstorming, designing a prototype, develop a working model, play testing and troubleshooting and Feedback tyat I use during my classroom mini hackathons. ADDIE involves Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation and Evaluation.

Ilka (Stoessel)
1 year ago

Instructional design and instructional development are closely related. Instructional design is the planning and creating learning experiences, while instructional development is implementing and evaluating those learning through the instructional materials and activities that are used in the learning experiences. 

Yes, the differences between instructional design and development is confusing. I would have to constantly review the differences and similarities when developing curriculum for my courses.

Some instructional design models I’ve briefly read on are ADDIE, Merrill’s First Principal’s and Gagne’s Nine Events. I favor Merrill’s and Gagne’s because, for my middle school classroom, I think they would engage students more than other models.

Christina Salters (She/Her)

Instructional design is “the practice of systematically designing, developing and delivering instructional materials and experiences, both digital and physical, in a consistent and reliable fashion toward an efficient, effective, appealing, engaging and inspiring acquisition of knowledge.” “Instructional design models organize and visualize learning theories and principles to guide instructional designers through a learning development process. Stated differently, an instructional design model can be considered a framework to develop learning materials.”

The difference between instructional design and instructional development is that 1 is the creation of digital instruction and the other is application of the instruction. The difference is not always clear.  It can be very confusing. The models I came across were the ADDIE, The Triple E, Bloom’s Taxonomy and the Backwards Design.  These processes I am familiar with.  The one I like the most is the Triple E.  I find that it speaks to my teaching style.

Vanessa Polonio (she/her)

My group and I had some difficulty finding the difference between instructional design and instruction. We were more confused when the term instructional development also surfaced. We first considered that instruction and lesson planning were synonyms. As we researched we came across one definition as instruction is the objectives students are learning and design are how the students learn those objectives.

We came across many different types of designs: The 5 Es, Triple E, Design Thinking Model, THINK, Social Learning Theory, Blooms Taxonomy, ADDIE, Backward Design and GAGNE’S Nine Events.

I personally like the 5 E’s and the GAGNE’S. They remind me of the similar design I use. My lessons usually start with an engagement or motivation. Then I activate prior knowledge so they can begin to make connections. Afterwards, I model and scaffold for the kids. Then students begin to work on it themselves. So I feel this process, is similar to the 5 E’s although I feel I explain before the kids get to explore.

29
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x